Sitting at Winters Door

2015-11-03-11-15-48

It’s snowing and I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On one hand Tahoe has been in a drought for quite a few years and we can really use the moisture. On the other hand, while I enjoy snow early in the season, I know that by February I will be done, done, done, with it, and wonder if it might not be better to wait a little longer to get started. Still there is something about the first snow of the year that hints at the promise of Christmas peeking slowly over the horizon.

2013-10-28-18-53-49

And while I do get sick of snow by the end of the season there are things about winter I adore such as: snuggling near a crackling fire, warm and cozy sweaters, snowshoeing through a silent forest, and quiet moments when everything seems to pause as the solitude of winter sets in.

shutterstock_68770585

So as I sit on my sofa and watch the first snow of the winter I feel a little sad as summer draws to a close and a little glad the slower pace of life winter brings will allow time to catch up and reflect.

2013-12-08-08-54-54 img_1849 2012-12-12-09-37-51 2015-12-11-07-09-06

Comment below and let me know if you love winter or hate it to be entered to win a $15 Amazon Gift card.

63 thoughts on “Sitting at Winters Door

1. Brenda Logan says:

I love winter!! After living my entire life in Chicago, the Alabama summers are brutal. By November I’m ready for cooler (cold) weather. I still miss the snow, the beauty of a frozen Lake Michigan, the stillness that only happens in the early morning after a good snowfall. But, I have to admit, I don’t miss the sub-zero days!!

2. I lived in the SF bay area for 20 years and loved visiting Tahoe, but not unless it was the summertime. The hiking! The rafting down Truckee River! The gorgeous lake and views from top of Squaw Valley! And the smells of the eucalyptus trees that made me feel as if I could live in Tahoe forever …except in the winter. Ha ha. I now live in the Boston area. I still hate winter, but I try to enjoy the ‘dried fruits’ of the season, like the hot chocolate, reading in front of the fireplace, watching TV in front of the fireplace, doing EVERYTHING in front of the fireplace. But my son, who still lives in the bay area. Now, married with three little boys, he rents a place at Tahoe for his family for winter weekends. The kids are part of the ski team, and they LOVE the snow and cold and wonder of Tahoe in winter. In fact, he wants me to come stay with them for week up there. I better learn to love lots of hot cocoa!! 🙂

3. Jayme says:

I have a love/hate relationship with winter! I love the snow days where we stay inside and watch movies , but like you, I know once I’ve had too many snow days, I will be ready for it to end!

I do love to watch it snow and love the pure white before the snow plows come down the road 🙂

4. Candace knight says:

I love to look at the now but it always come with worry. My husband missing work, kids missing school. It is beautiful though. It is still getting pretty hot in Tennessee so I am kinda looking forward to cold weather.

5. Burma Turner says:

The older I’ve gotten, the more I hate winter. I live in a rural area, if we get a lot of snow, then almost everything is shut down. I also hate the high heating bills in the winter!

6. Jill Broussard says:

I used to enjoy winter more when I lived on Long Island. I’d look forward to the beauty of the snow, but not the shoveling. Here in Louisiana it’s just not the same, one day it’s hot, the next cool, and of course no snow days for the kids to enjoy.

7. Kimberly Neal says:

I am nuts about winter. Im a snow queen if ever there was one, my mama used to call me that. I love Sherpa, fleece PJS and cozy feather lined socks, a nice cup of joe or Arctic white cocoa by Land o Lakes, sit on the front porch in the frigid temps and watch it snow. Breath it all in. I love the sound of snowflakes hitting the ground. So silent yet not. Like a hush…Snow makes winter brighter!

8. Catherine Willson-Bogert says:

Now that I am retired I find I love winter! I may still have to shovel, but at least it’s on my time and not in a rush to get out. It is peaceful and soothing to watch.

9. Love winter! Ready for the snow to start flying. Gives me a chance to curl up in my favorite socks, with hot tea or cocoa , binge watch Netflix or read a good book.

10. Brenda Rozek says:

I love winter. We very rarely get any significant snowfall in our area of South Carolina so it’s a treat when we do. I love to have a big pot of soup and cornbread ready to enjoy on a cold evening.

11. Missy VanHoose says:

I don’t mind the cold temperatures that winter brings, it’s the snow that gets me everytime lol. I’m the type that wants it on Christmas and then that’s it I’m done with it no more. January of this year we got so much snow it took my husband 3 days to dig out my car. I’ll admit it’s pretty to look at and the kids love playing in it, i just dread seeing come.

12. Rebecca Deel says:

I love winter! Tennessee summers are filled with high heat and humidity, so winter is a welcome change. Snow days mean time to enjoy a good book!

13. Debra Woloson says:

Well on one hand I do love winter. Once I get moving I keep moving so no slug here. When we lived in Bound Brook New Jersey I loved the snow. But most of the time it started with rain, sleet, ice then beautiful snow.
    Then the other hand is what I can say being born and raised in Houston, Texas, is the rainy season. In Houston when it does get cold, it is a humid cold that goes through your bones and is wet damp cold. Usually no snow but we do get Ice. Oh joy no one knows how to drive on it. You only want to stay inside and go no place. So it depends on where I am at the time. Be safe and enjoy the seasons. We usually are hot and 200% humid to rainy cold.

14. I absolutely LOVE winter! The beautifully crisp snow (unless you’re on the road) perfect sleeping weather (unless the kids complain all night) & toasty warm drinks (unless you put it down & forget about it while attending to the kids)… ok, ok- I Like winter!
    Cheers-
    Kelly Braun
    Gaelicark(at)yahoo(dot)com

15. I love winter… for a little while! This time of year I can’t wait for it to snow, and am ready to head out and play with the kids! Come March, I just want it to be warm again!

16. Daniele K says:

I love winter. However, living in Texas means a relatively warm season. Even as an adult I wish for white Christmases.

17. Nancy Farris says:

I don’t mind winter as long as we are free from ice storms and it doesn’t get below zero too many times. Okay, I’m a little picky!

18. Peggy Hyndman says:

I loved winters when I was growing up in Colorado. I live in North Texas now and our winters are not severe. I like the cooler weather winter brings but as I get older I’m glad I don’t have to shovel sidewalks or scrape my windows several times a day. We get more “black ice” here than snow and I don’t like driving on it.

19. Cindergayle says:

I love winter and the snow. Living in Tennessee we don’t get a lot of snow too often. I have lived here for 47 years , but was born and lived in Chicago until I was 12. Snow is one thing I really miss.

20. Sharon Frank says:

I love winter and miss the colder weather, snow, and the beauty of the north. However, I’ll stay in Florida as this is where my family is.

21. JoAn V. says:

I don’t hate winter I just hate snow, sleet and ice to drive on/in. I moved to central AZ almost 20 years ago and have never regretted it. Now the winter is mildly cold temps and cloudy skies.

22. Sharon Guagliardo says:

I’ll be 66 in a few days and am not looking forward to lousy Chicago drivers on icy roads, the cold. I grew up in upstate New York where the snow was over the garage doors and you had to dig out of your house. BUT, I do love seeing the beautiful snow in the trees and the ice sculptures that are done. And I’m looking forward to hot chocolate. Yum.

23. Kelley Morrow says:

I love the spirit of winter with the lights, shopping for loved ones, Christmas movies, hot chocolate with my kids, and I could go on and on!

24. robeader says:

Like Rosemary, I also live in the NE corner of Ohio in the snow belt. We not only get snow, we also get hit with lake effect snow. I don’t mind the first or second bout of snow but by January, I’m done. Our children are grown and so it doesn’t entice them to be out in it. And my rheumatoid arthritis can do without it too.

25. Mary Jane H. says:

What a nice tribute to the end of summer and beginning of winter! We live in the Phoenix, Arizona area and don’t get snow except maybe a short small flurry at Christmas.

26. Karen B says:

Love/hate! I live in MN and do love the first snow, but when we get so much that we shovel paths and the yard looks like a maze and it’s still here in April, then I hate it! I can take the cold until it gets below zero for days on end.

27. I, too, have a love/hate relationship with winter. Nothing compares to wakening to freshly fallen snow or those first tracks through same! But as winter winds down-late, here in Anchorage, it does become wearing.

28. I’m OK with Winter. I don’t mind the cold and the snow is really pretty if you don’t have to go out in the really bad weather. It really makes you appreciate Spring, because Winter seems to last a long time.

29. Pamela Paterakis says:

I love winter snd snow! Lived in the Aleutian Islands four years wher there would be snow just about all year. My ex hated it! I would always call my Dad from wherever I lived to let him know it was snowing. Sure miss making those calls.

30. Debbie S says:

I love snow covered branches and bushes, everything seems so quiet and serene. Unfortunately we don’t get much snow here, we seem to get ice storms although as beautiful as ice covered branches are, it is a royal pain to get anywhere. That is one thing that I miss about living in PA. looking out at falling snow.

31. Celia Fowler says:

I love winter and the blanket of snow that makes everything so quiet and peaceful. It’s wonderful to come in from the cold and have a hot drink and wrap up in a blanket and read a book. I don’t like driving in the snow though!

32. Alice says:

Love, love, love winter. I wish it would hurry up and get here. It was 80 here in Virginia yesterday. We had an open house at work today and we were too hot to wear any of our fun sweaters!! Come on cold weather!!!!

33. Teri Fish says:

I don’t hate winter but I do NOT enjoy shoveling the snow. I’m just too old for that. However, as I took the Halloween decorations down today I was thinking about putting the Christmas tree up.

34. Jeannie D. says:

I have a love/hate relationship with winter. I do enjoy snuggling up on the couch with my hubby, a hot cup of tea and a good book when it is cold outside though.

35. Doward Wilson says:

Winter is always a love the holidays & first few snows but after that I really am ready for an early spring, like in January. LOL

36. Kathleen Costa says:

I love winter because it heralds my ‘favorite time of the year’…Christmas! I’m in the California Central Valley, so a ‘white’ Christmas is usually a wet Christmas. But…it’s hot cocoa, peppermint lattes, shopping, wrapping, and anticipating. I love it.

37. Debby Drust says:

I love that I get the best of both worlds where I live. We don’t get unbearable cold and snow in our city, but we are surrounded by beautiful, snow-topped mountains in the winter.

38. Della Williamson says:

I am ambivalent about the snow. Where I live now, it is far more temperate than where I grew up. I miss the snow. But then. I don’t have to drive in it. When I was a kid where we lived we had heavy snow for months, (lived in the mountains) remember drifts up the side of the house 6 feet or so. Icicles hung from the eaves, 2 or 3 feet long. Us kids would break off one and suck on it while playing outside. After the 3rd snow fall mom would have us collect a bowl of snow and we would have now ice cream. My younger sister (by 4 yrs), who was 4 at the time, came into the house and put a handful of snow by the heating vent. Mom asked her what she was doing. Linda said it’s cold. Then ran off to the bathroom. When she came back, she saw that it was almost gone, water in it’s place. She wanted to know where the snow was and when mom told her it was gone she started crying. Because she wanted to play with it some more. Mom explained about snow came from water and it wasn’t really gone she could still go outside and play in the snow. That did not console her. She wanted her friend back. Every now and then I remind her of that and we have a good laugh.