Sitting at Winters Door

2015-11-03-11-15-48

It’s snowing and I have to admit that I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On one hand Tahoe has been in a drought for quite a few years and we can really use the moisture. On the other hand, while I enjoy snow early in the season, I know that by February I will be done, done, done, with it, and wonder if it might not be better to wait a little longer to get started. Still there is something about the first snow of the year that hints at the promise of Christmas peeking slowly over the horizon.

2013-10-28-18-53-49

And while I do get sick of snow by the end of the season there are things about winter I adore such as: snuggling near a crackling fire, warm and cozy sweaters, snowshoeing through a silent forest, and quiet moments when everything seems to pause as the solitude of winter sets in.

shutterstock_68770585

So as I sit on my sofa and watch the first snow of the winter I feel a little sad as summer draws to a close and a little glad the slower pace of life winter brings will allow time to catch up and reflect.

2013-12-08-08-54-54 img_1849 2012-12-12-09-37-51 2015-12-11-07-09-06

Comment below and let me know if you love winter or hate it to be entered to win a $15 Amazon Gift card.

63 thoughts on “Sitting at Winters Door

1. Tricia says:

Kathi, I feel very much like you, I love the cold weather and snow. But by February I can’t wait for spring to immerge. I miss the beauty of each season now that I live in the deep south. We are still in the 80s here, ugggggggg. Thanks for the beautiful pictures, that I can enjoy.

2. Vicki Highley says:

I live in Southern California, so I really enjoy Christmas. Cool weather and if we are lucky the occasional rainy day.

3. servedogmom says:

I love winter and the first new fallen snow. I will admit that I do not like Chicago blizzards and wind chills well below -30 or worse. The is the season we are most likely to spend time with family and friends. I love the photo of Echo in the snow. Our Goldens would be running through the snow with him.

4. Snowshoeing through a silent forest sounds like transporting to another world for me. What a peaceful and cathartic thought! I usually can’t wait for Winter after the hot and humid Summers in SW Georgia. I don’t like freezing cold, but I love the moderate cooling temperatures that allow us to enjoy the great outdoors in different seasonal ways. If only we could have Fall and Spring like Mother Nature intended so we could ease into our sometimes brutal Summers and Winters. Thanks for posting the gorgeous pics!! Echo looks very happy!! 🙂

5. Marsha Cole says:

I do not like winter! If I could stay in the house and not have to deal with the cold, ice, and snow I may have a different opinion.

6. Kathy Dunn says:

I work at a college in Oklahoma and We don’t have a lot of winter here, but when we do and it snows, I’m like a little kid watching to see if school closes!

I used to like winter when I lived In Ca 20 min south of SF as we would drive to Tahoe when we wanted to play in the snow or felt like we had a streak going we;d go lose our money. But then husband passed and then married a man i knew in Iowa moved to Iowa and now hate snow. Husband has a job that depends on good weather he lays underground pipe so when it is cold no work and no pay. Also i have a disease that I have had for many years and it it throughout my entire body and when it is cold and I am down it really hurts and then the scooter is a must to walk. We have had nothing but 60’s weather back here in eastern Iowa and when I call my kids that live in SF they tell me about their conditions. Right now Iowa has the better weather but ask me in a month !

8. Elaine N Robinson says:

I enjoy winter because I find beauty in the scenery after a snow storm. The winter scene reminds me of an exquisite painting.

9. Shawn says:

I love winter! Spring has a feel of renewal, summer brings warm weather and a host of activities, and fall brings color but there is nothing quite like the peace that comes during the winter season. Not to mention all the beautiful pictures!

10. Lynn Hogan says:

I love all seasons…. i have yet to find one that I really hate…. while I don’t like the humidity the summers in Alabama sometime bring, I would not like to give up the beautiful skies and nature that abounds. I may get cold in the winter, but I love the few (VERY few) times we get snow. I can’t wait until it gets cold enough here again to have icicles that we can pull from the houses and trees, and feel the crunch of the ground under my feet when we walk where it is popped up and frozen. I remember these things from when I was a little girl and miss them so much. I love spring with the new leaves and flowers (but hate all that rain!! lol) Love the autumn with all the leaves turning and the wildlife getting ready for winter.