On Location in Hawaii

11912_290515044456870_5270187489386069058_n

One of my very favorite things about being an author is that I can write from anywhere. This month I am heading to Hawaii to write book 2 in my Sand and Sea Hawaiian Mystery Series. While this will be very much a working vacation, I do plan to get in a bit of R&R and maybe even some reading. I think the reason I really love to write on location is because I can engage all my senses. If I write a story set in Hawaii while I am in Tahoe during a snowstorm like I did for book 1 in this series, I can usually find a way to reach down into my memory base and come up with descriptions that are both engaging and believable. If I am actually sitting on the lanai of the condo where we stay in Maui while I am working on a book set in Hawaii, I have the sound of the waves, the smell of the tropical flowers, the feel of the warm air blowing across my body, and the taste of the fresh pineapple we buy from the farmers market to bring a sense of immediacy to my scenes.

1680 2014-04-24 09.22.49 1277  1430

The photos I have posted here are of trips from the past but please be sure to check in at my Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/kathidaleybooks for current photos as we enjoy our tropical retreat.

10 thoughts on “On Location in Hawaii

1. Joyce C Moser says:

It makes total sense to me that writing about Hawaii while IN Hawaii will bring more of the feel, smells, sights, etc. to your books. I am so glad you are able to travel there to write, and rest and enjoy yourself too. I loved the first book in the series and can’t wait for the next one!

2. Alice says:

Just hearing about the sound of the waves makes me jealous. Can’t wait for the next book to come out. Glad you are taking some time to relax11

3. Sandy Hemsher says:

I love location books. There are places I will never get to visit but a good author can make me feel like I did!!!! Thank you for you books!!!!!!

4. Kathleen Costa says:

Hawaii is our most favorite destination. We have been to several islands unable to pick our favorite. Kona: enjoying the walk down Ali’i Drive, stopping in for Spam and eggs at the Oceanfront Cafe. Honolulu: strolling the shops, malls, and popping in to a hole-in-the-wall Harbor Pub next to the marina for Mai Tais and fish ‘n chips. Ka’anapali: lounging on the beach, bobbing up and down in the surf, enjoying mahi mahi dinners poolside. Then there’s North Shore, Lahaina, Hilo, Poipu Beach, museums, volcanoes, golf courses, restaurants, luaus. Wow! Have a great time!

5. sb8857 says:

I’m So glad you will be writing in Hawaii, because it will be great for you and your readers! I can’t wait to see more pictures too! Enjoy your working vacation!!

6. Sonya Steele says:

My husband and I just booked a trip to Hawaii for A week in June to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Neither of us has been there before, so we are very excited. I plan to read book 1 in your Sand and Sea series to help me wait for the trip. 😊

7. Jill Broussard says:

I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to be surrounded by such beauty and be able to incorporate that into a book. Looking forward to reading your next book and imagining that I am there too.

8. Alisha Collins says:

I have never been to Hawaii but really enjoy reading and hearing about it. It is on my list of places I would love to visit and to cap it off I would love to take my Grandmother as that was a place her and my Grandpa talked about going one day before he passed away just less than a month after their 50th wedding anniversary. Thank you for the glimpses of paradise.