Home for the Holidays

KathiEdit

I had a discussion recently with a friend who likes to travel over Christmas break. This friend has a job where December is actually her slow season so it is easy for her to take several weeks off at this time of year. As I chatted with her I wasn’t sure whether to envy her or feel sorry for her.

On one hand she has been to a lot of really awesome places such as Paris, Italy, and Bali, but on the other hand, one has to wonder if she isn’t missing out on the Christmas magic that can be found in your own home, wrapped up with family, friends, and tradition.

139859ea368dbba2b6e10c01f3a24cd0  118e4e2a9efc8857919900e8f9484a96  29f130fcaa6f50c33809035bb5738678

I thought about it a lot that evening as I wrapped what seemed like my hundredth gift while my husband struggled with the lights on the tree that wouldn’t stay lit. I looked at my ‘to do’ list for the next couple or weeks and wondered if running away to an exotic location for the holiday wasn’t a genius idea after all.

I will admit that the movie Christmas with The Kranks popped into my head as I considered how much easier it would be to simply skip the shopping, baking, decorating, and million and one other holiday obligations. But once the wrapping was done, and I was able to settle into my living room with a glass of wine and an old Christmas photo album, while I watched it snow outside my window, I realized I wouldn’t trade the warmth and comfort of home, for all the exotic locations in the world.

2497    606

2556   669

Comment below and let me know if given the opportunity to travel to an exotic location or stay home for the holidays, which you would choose? I will pick one person to receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

61 thoughts on “Home for the Holidays

1. My husband and I have traveled during the Christmas season quite often. I love it. The beauty of visiting different places, decorated for the season. London will always be my favorite. This is the first year in the last four where we will spend it with our family back home.

2. Jill Broussard says:

I’m sure some people would love to travel, but that is something that has never crossed my mind. I love being with my family during the holidays. Those are memories that could never be replaced for me. So, stay home it is! Happy Holidays!

3. I believe that I would rather be home for Christmas. The craziness of the holidays is part of what makes it memorable. It would be like the Kranks, but they did find out in the movie it is all about family and friends in the end. Happy Holidays!

4. Catherine Bogert says:

I can’t think of any place other than home that I would want to be during the holidays. I do get stressed with all the “to do” things that are waiting to be done.. But, I want to be able to spend Christmas morning with my family in our home with a Christmas tree we decorated. Traditions that we do can’t be done somewhere else.

5. Elizabeth Dent says:

Love your pictures , they are always so pretty . I think I had rather stay home for Christmas than travel to a far away place . Thank you

6. Brenda Rozek says:

Definitely home for Christmas. Now that our children are grown with children of their own, I love having everyone together at Christmas.

7. Katherine says:

I would choose to stay at home, where the memories lie, where the heart is. Each person in the family adds a square in a quilt that offers warmth that no exotic location can.

8. Judy Weaver says:

Christmas isn’t like it use to be thanks to divorce and kids marrying and moving away. We still get together, but not on Christmas Day. I wouldn’t mind taking a trip to someplace in the U.S. if they had pretty lights and lot of Christmas activities going on. Oh, and with someone nice to go with me. I wouldn’t do it by myself.

9. If I could take the family, we would totally go to some beach for the holidays. I think the money on a memory would be much more beneficial! Memories always seem to be what people remember and not so much the stuff. So, I would take advantage of that without any delay.

10. JoAn V. says:

Since I have a small family to spend the holidays with we have been known to leave home and celebrate Christmas elsewhere. We still get to enjoy the beautiful decorations and good food but we don’t have the cleanup.

11. sallycootie says:

I choose home. I like to enjoy the rewards of all that decorating! We used to enjoy visiting Disneyland during the holiday season, though, and several years ago, for a few years in a row, we had an extended stay in our RV there. It felt like home – the RV was decorated and comfy, we had our Christmas songs and movies and holiday food, and the family from this area was with us. We would go to the park during the day or until it got too crowded, or we just felt we needed a break, and then we would come back to Home South as we called it. Good memories.

12. Bonnie L. says:

Definitely staying home for Christmas! Cousins come in from 4 different states and we spend a week visiting and doing things in and around Chicago. Wouldn’t miss it for anything!

13. Michele says:

It all depends on if my grandchildren are going to be here. If they are, you couldn’t pry me away. If not, travel is so fun and the holiday at home is boring without littles.

I think that if you have no family and you are alone that traveling is great and it takes away from the family idea. I also think that sometimes being home with one other person is also sometime depressing if there is family near and they are going elsewhere then i could see traveling but if you have the family close and there isn’t the two separate family ideas and everyone comes together for a family christmas that traveling is out of the question. So it probably depends one each situation and what you can afford and your religion .

15. MaryAnn Forbes says:

I love being home during the holidays .
    Celebrating with family, cooking, singing,enjoying time with friends & family–it’s the most wonderful time
    of the year.🎵🎵🎵. Thanks Kathi.

16. I would most assuredly stay home. Nothing replaces family and family traditions at this time of year. This is a time to celebrate all the joy of the birth of the Christ Child and reinforce the worth and value of family.

17. Sharon Frank says:

I much prefer staying home with family and friends. A cruise somewhere might be fun, but only if all of us went together.

18. Nickieann Fleener says:

I prefer staying at home with my critters and all the decorating I have done with many twinkling lights. But, my son can’t come home this year because he is on call at the hospital Dec. 24 so I am going to Denver to spend Christmas with him and his wife. I am happy about that, because family makes home to me.

19. Kathleen Costa says:

My husband and I have a few times tried the “destination” holidays. Our first Christmas as a couple was spent in Orlando, reveling in a Disney Christmas. It was the worst freeze in decades, so we were able to enjoy hot cocoas and decorated fir trees, and a side trip to Clearwater gave us warm breezes and palm trees. Later we experienced “Mele Kalikimaka” in Honolulu, a romantic Christmas near the ocean in Bodega Bay, and just for fun to our favorite spot in Monterey. I have fond memories with family Christmases, but everyone has grown up and spread out to the four winds. I prefer to have the holidays with my husband…anywhere. On the horizon is a trip to England, or Paris, or down under.

20. Peggy Hyndman says:

My first thought was … wouldn’t it be fun to travel somewhere with my entire family and make some special Christmas memories. After giving it some thought, I decided it would be expensive and stressful. So I’s rather stay home and continue the traditions we’ve done since my children were little that I’m now blessed to be able to share with my grandchildren.

21. Barbara Hawk says:

As it is just me, I would travel for the holidays. It would be fun to see how different cultures celebrate. Not every year, but now and again, it might be fun.

22. Debbie S says:

Well, considering hubby will not fly (I’m not crazy about it myself) it would have to be drivable, I would be willing to go. We haven’t been able to be home with family in years which would be nice however the last few times when we were home we were pulled in so many directions I can’t say it made for much of an enjoyable holiday…something would have to change. I’ve always wanted to do Disney around the holidays, but then again I would feel guilty for someone having to work on Christmas to wait on me. Okay, so I really haven’t given much of a straight answer here have I? LOL

23. Doward Wilson says:

Now that everyone is older, I think I would like to experience Christmas in a different locale with a few good friends and family that I have traveled with at other times.

24. Elaine Robinson says:

I I have a friend who travels every Christmas, she is single and does not have any family. She prefers to travel at this time. I feel that people should celebrate the holidays as they would like. For me, staying home is where I want to be. Christmas for me is a time for family, friends and pets as well.

25. Michele Gray says:

I’d love to go someplace exotic. It’s been a rough year and it would be great to be able to go away and relax. Thanks for chance.

26. Sue Pippins says:

I will stay home and remember Christmases past – with family. We can’t travel and the family is all in another State, so memories will keep me smiling.

27. robeader says:

I always have believed that home is where the heart is and Christmas is all about what is inside your heart. This said, I would stay at home and enjoy all the memories that my family has built there and continues to do so. robeader53@yahoo.com

28. We will be home and remember Christmases past – when our entire family could be together. Right now, I can’t travel except for medical care (and I definitely can’t fly), My greatest hope is that our son will be granted a telephone call home at some time Christmas Eve or Day. If our family could all be together, I’d love to be on a Disney cruise ship over the holidays. servedogmom@yahoo.com

29. Thank you all for commenting. I’ve been locked in my writing cave for the past few days trying to get caught up before Christmas so I won’t respond to individual comments this week but I did read them. The winner of this weeks gift card is Michele Gray. Send me an email Michele at kathidaley@kathidaley.com Big hugs to everyone and have a wonderful week.

30. Carol Coker says:

I’d like the best of both worlds. I would love to leave Christmas afternoon and take a week or two with my family on an adventure somewhere. But only if we were all together…..that way the kids would not worry about if Santa could “find us” on vacation.

31. Linda McDonald says:

I have always stayed home for the Christmas holiday and I enjoy being home and with family. Though, the thought of spending the holiday in a place, like maybe Paris, does appeal to me. Or even someplace closer to home where it snows. That is something I’ve never had: a white Christmas. So, maybe someday we will travel during the holiday, even though I do like being at home too.

32. Alice says:

I enjoy the let down of staying put on Christmas after running so much before hand.
    We now have to travel for 2 hours to get to Mom’s house but I wouldn’t change it at all. It would seem strange without family around. Now a nice New Year’s vacation would be something to consider!!!

33. rose pfeiffer says:

I dont think I would travel on this special holiday..even if my family could come along. it would just feel like a normal vacation then…. its be home,in the cold weather,making cookies and looking at the tree and its sparkling lights ,then everyone there opening gifts,eating too much food and just the fun of watching all the excitement..it just wouldnt be the same any other way..

34. Usually I celebrate Christmas at home in CA. But I did go on a Christmas cruise and it was wonderful! Being waited on and served delicious food the week of Christmas could really spoil a person! Plus I was celebrating with my mother and my brother!!